More Value for Your BAH
Get the Most from Your BAH
We know you have a choice in housing, and we thank you for making Fort Drum Mountain Community Homes your home. Our vision is to provide outstanding communities where military families live, work, and thrive. Our communities provide residents with the valued benefits and services they deserve from 24/7 professional maintenance, seasonal front and side lawn care, free resident events and programs for all ages and your basic utilities are included.
What does my rent go towards?
By living with Fort Drum Mountain Community Homes
you are investing in the future of your on-post community. More
than half of your monthly rental payment funds reinvestment in
homes, amenities and services for service members and their
families. Hover over a section below for more information.
Construction & Reinvestment58%1,944 new homes built
2,041 homes renovated
38 new playgrounds, 2 splash parks, 2 dog parks, and 4 fitness centers
Over half of your rental payment goes toward future new homes and renovations, as well as enhancement of amenities in your community.
Utilities13%We provide utilities free of charge for our residents including:
Water and sewer
Maintenance of utility infrastructure
Other Services12%Property insurance and taxes
911 emergency response
Trash and recycling removal
Property Management6%Our professional property management team aims to provide the highest level of customer service from leasing throughout residency for our families. Through resident events, regular communication and meaningful interactions, our goal is to create connections and foster a sense of belonging that transforms houses into homes.
The property management team collaborates with your Resident Advisory Board, installation leadership, and Housing Services Office to provide the best experience possible while living in our communities.
Maintenance Services11%Your home is prepared by our experienced maintenance technicians, painters and cleaners during our Certified Home process and is inspected by a member of the Housing Services Office prior to move-in.
Our proactive preventive maintenance program is provided to inspect and maintain each home. During each inspection, we check the performance and safety of all mechanical systems and life, health and safety devices in your home.
We offer 24/7 professional maintenance service for all your maintenance needs.
We provide grounds maintenance, landscaping services and neighborhood street snow removal for your community.
How is my BAH rate determined?
The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is a U.S. based allowance specified by geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. It provides uniformed service members reasonable housing compensation based on housing costs in the local civilian housing markets when government quarters are not provided.
- BAH rates are based on local area rental market data and do not include homeownership costs. The average cost of utilities is considered.
- BAH is not designed to cover all housing costs for all members. Some members may have out-of-pocket expenses based on their choice of housing. Rates are based on the median cost of rent plus the average cost of utilities.
- BAH includes rate protection for service members who are in an existing lease or contract. If the new BAH rate is less than the previous year, service members continue to receive at least the same amount of BAH as the previous year if location, rank and dependency status stay the same. If BAH rates go up, the member will receive the higher BAH rate if eligibility is uninterrupted.
- New BAH rates are typically released mid-December and take effect in January.
What are the benefits of living on post?
We are committed to providing families with savings, service and experiences that cannot be matched anywhere in town. There are many benefits you enjoy living with Fort Drum Mountain Community Homes that you won’t receive off-post.
- Basic utilities included
- Pet friendly communities
- 24/7 emergency maintenance
- Lawn care and snow removal of common areas
More information on BAH
- Defense Travel Management Office
- Directorate of Military Compensation Policy
- BAH Service Representatives
*Percentages are rounded to the nearest percentage and based on estimates.